Hot Sulphur Springs local bar and restaurant offering Mountain Topas made from scratch, custom cocktails and local beers on tap
History of the Stagecoach Inn
In 1873, Captain Thomas J. Dean built the original two room, one story log home and open the towns first saloon. He had enlisted in the Civil war as a lieutenant with the Michigan Calvary, he was captured and spent two years in the southern prison of Andersonville. When released he returned to his unit with a promotion to captain.
This was a very typical saloon of the old west. Thomas serving whiskey and Elizabeth making dinners with the boys running food. At night, the patrons that wanted to stay the night rolled out their bed rolls around the pot belly stove along the wall.
In 1877, the attorney general of Colorado appointed Captain Dean to become the first judge in Grand County and for the first year he held court here in the saloon.
On July 4th 1883 Thomas Dean was killed in of all things a shootout in Grand Lake called the Grand Lake Massacre.
In 1883 Walker McQueary and his mother purchased the Dean House and remodeled adding this room and the upstairs where there was originally 13 bedrooms for rent. They called it the McQueary House. They were instrumental in getting regular stagecoach service to Hot Sulphur Springs bringing people and the mail up from Denver. The stage route would go from Denver to Georgetown and then up over Berthoud pass and make a few stops before coming here and then would continue west to Troublesome.
In 1913 a lady named Alice Davis purchased the Inn and she was a business woman who was enamored with the automobile.
Alice began to build some of the first motels in the county. Typically, they consisted of a small room that you could stay in that was connected to a carport and then another room and carport built out in a row.
We have about two acres here and in its heyday Alice had built over 40 motel rooms with carports, a bath house with showers, tent accommodations on the western part of the property and she ran the Inn. It was called Davis Cottages and she served fried chicken every Saturday night.
In 1962 a couple from the Denver area purchased the inn and they did a lot of renovation. They brought our electrical and heating up to date, remodeled two of the upstairs rooms into bathrooms and they added the south wing. Downstairs the south wing is our kitchen and baking area and upstairs they added 5 new rooms. These 5 rooms are our luxury rooms since they come with their own private 1960s bathroom. They tore down all but one of the motels and the bath house in the back yard and renamed the inn The Stagecoach Stop.
Since then, this has been a Mexican restaurant in the 70s. There was a dance floor and many of the long term residents in town tell us about their favorite times here at the inn.
In 1998 two couples purchased it and started a bed and breakfast inn with themed rooms. We had an Elvis room, a cowboy room, even a harlots room all in red.
They lost it to the bank in the 2008 recession. We purchased the inn 5 years ago and open our first restaurant here the Dean Public House 4 years ago and then last year opened our second restaurant the Dean West in Kremmling last year. The Dean West is the first Brewstillery in Colorado. We have a brewery, a distillery and a full service restaurant all under one roof.